Oxlade-Chamberlain: I can fill Alex Song's role at Arsenal

Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
Getty
Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain says he is ready to move into Alex Song's midfield role at Arsenal following the Cameroonian's move to Barcelona.
After Song's £15 million switch to the Catalan giants and a breakdown in talks between Arsenal and Real Madrid over a possible loan deal for Nuri Sahin, the Gunners were left short in the central midfield position.

However, the 19-year-old reckons he has the ability to 'step up to the plate' and fill Song's shoes.

He told The Sun:"They are big shoes to fill but you’ve got that anywhere at Arsenal. In any position you’ve got a big role to play and big shoes to fill. You only have to look back at the Invincibles and the team that won the league — they are massive shoes to fill for us.
“Whenever you’re playing on the pitch you have to step up to the plate and perform.
“Alex Song was a great player for us and he was a big player for us — but we’ve got a strong enough squad. I’m definitely confident of that and I’m definitely confident of filling Alex’s role.”
Oxlade-Chamberlain has mainly been deployed as a winger so far in his Arsenal career but Arsene Wenger believes he has a future in central midfield, which we saw a glimpse of in Arsenal's 3-0 win over AC Milan in the Champions League last season.
“I remember on the day I actually signed he asked me where I saw myself playing", he continued.
“My dad was in the room and said ‘Centre mid, he’s a midfielder’.
“The boss sort of laughed and said ‘I think he could be as well’. He said maybe to start off with I would be out wide and last season I did play the majority of my games on the wing."
Meanwhile, Wenger hasn't ruled out making a signing for that position but insists a deal will only be done if he believes real defensive quality can be added to the squad.
"If someone really top, top class comes up… I do not need to buy an average midfielder," Wenger told the club's official website.
"If someone top, top class turns up, completely defensive, we will consider it."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Matteo Guendouzi has made a switch to Hertha Berlin.

Chicharito To Arsenal as RVP Moves To ManU

Why Debuchy is perfect replacement for Sagna at Arsenal